Tag: cape cod

    Wood End Light

    Wood End Light

    Near the very tip of Cape Cod, Wood End Lighthouse is
    now an unmanned light that sounds a horn to alert for fog.
    The lighthouse was built in 1872 and the adjacent oil house
    was built in 1896.  This remote light can only be accessed by
    a long hike.  If you go, be prepared for hot sun,
    biting insects and no drinking water.

    Wood End Lighthouse photo taken Oct. 4, 2007
    Wood End Lighthouse with Race Point light
    in the background.

    For more information and photos of the Wood End Lighthouse,
    visit the webpage at the American Lighthouse Foundation.

    The Three Sisters

    The Three Sisters lighthouse

    Eastham, MA

    The Highland Light in Truro had one steady burning light.

    The Chatham Light had two towers, each burning a steady light.

    Mariners could tell where they were based upon whether they saw
    one light or two.

    In 1836, residents of Eastham wrote to the Boston Marine Society
    because of the many shipwrecks that were occurring offshore.
    In 1837, Congress appropriated the money to build a light in Eastham.

    To help mariners differentiate between the Highland Light in Truro to the
    north and the Chatham Light in Chatham to the south,
    it was decided to erect three towers and to burn three lights
    to mark the dangerous Nauset sand bars off of Eastham.

    These lighthouses came to be known as the Three Sisters, some say,
    because they resembled  three girls wearing white dresses and
    black hats.

    The Three Sisters were replaced in the 1920’s by the current
    Nauset Light which is still in operation today.  The Three Sisters
    can still be visited, however, because they have been preserved
    in a clearing near the Nauset Light.

    Directions to the Three Sisters Lighthouses:

    Travel along Route 6 heading East towards Provincetown.
    Turn right onto Nauset Road. (third traffic light after the
    Orleans/Eastham rotary)Follow Nauset Road and turn left
    onto Cable Road.  Go to the end of Cable Road.
    The three lighthouses will be in a clearing on the left.   If you
    reach Ocean View Drive, and the Nauset Light, you have gone too far.

    The history of Nauset Light and The Three Sisters
    makes interesting reading at:
    http://www.newenglandlighthouses.net/nauset-light-history.html

    More history of the Three Sisters Lighthouses  available at:
    http://www.nps.gov/caco/historyculture/the-three-sisters-lighthouses.htm

    More Three Sisters photos can be seen at:
    http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=489

    Race Point Light

    Race Point Light

    If Cape Cod is “the bent and twisted arm of Massachusetts,”
    then Race Point is at the knuckles of the curved fingers.
    This is one lighthouse that will let you spend an overnight
    in the keeper’s house!
    A light first began operating at Race Point in 1816 but
    the current tower was built in 1876.
    Today the light and fog horn are run by solar power.
    Lighthouse photo taken Oct.4, 2007

    Tours of the lighthouse are given regularly during the
    the summer months.  Access to the lighthouse is via
    a two mile hike from the parking lot at the Race Point
    Coast Guard Station.

    For more photos and information about tours and overnight visits to Race Point,
    visit www.racepointlighthouse.net

    Also visit the American Lighthouse Foundation’s webpage
    about Race Point.

    An interesting page about the history of the Race Point Light
    can be found at http://www.newenglandlighthouses.net/race-point-light-history.html

    Categories: Race Point Light Tags: Tags: ,

    Nobska Point Lighthouse

    Nobska Point Lighthouse

     Woods Hole, Massachusetts

    Established in 1828, this lighthouse served to protect boating
    in Vineyard Sound and Buzzards Bay.  Today, most people
    view the lighthouse from a passing ferry boat as they
    travel from Woods Hole to Martha’s Vineyard.


    Click on image above to read text.

    Directions to Nobska Point Light:

    • Travel along Route 28 into Falmouth.
    • In Falmouth Center follow signs for the
      Woods Hole Ferry Terminal by
      turning right onto Woods Hole Road.
    • Turn left onto Church Street and follow it to the Lighthouse.

    A great history of the Nobska lighthouse can be found at:
    http://www.newenglandlighthouses.net/nobska-point-light-history.html

    More information about the Nobska Lighthouse can
    be found here :
    http://www.newenglandlighthouses.net/nobska.html

    A number of photos of the Nobska Lighthouse, can be found at:
    http://lighthouse.cc/nobska/thumbs.html

    Nauset Light

    Nauset Light, Eastham, MA

    This red and white tower is an easily recognized logo
    on bags of Cape Cod Potato Chips.


    The only way up the tower is via this circular staircase.


    The double spinning lamps atop Nauset Light

    Directions to Nauset Light:

    Follow Nauset Road and turn left
    onto Cable Road.  Go to the end of Cable Road and turn left
    onto Ocean View Drive.  The lighthouse will then be visible.

    The history of Nauset Light and The Three Sisters
    makes interesting reading at:
    http://lighthouse.cc/nauset/history.html

    For more photos and information Nauset Light,  visit:
     http://www.rudyalicelighthouse.net/MassLgts/Nauset/Nauset.htm

    The National Park Service (Cape Cod National Seashore) has
    interesting information about Nauset Light and Nauset Light Beach at:
    http://www.nps.gov/archive/caco/places/nausetlightbeach.html

    The Nauset Light Preservation Society has a website detailing
    the 1996 move of the Nauset Lighthouse to its present location:
    http://www.nausetlight.org/

    Categories: Nauset Light Tags: Tags: ,

    Monomoy Point Lighthouse

    Monomoy Point Lighthouse

    Chatham, Massachusetts

    Established in  1823, the Monomoy Point Lighthouse helped sailors
    navigate around the neck that hangs from the elbow of Cape Cod.

    After 100 years (in 1923), it was determined that the powerful
    lighthouse in Chatham was sufficient.  Sea traffic around
    outer Cape Cod had lessened since the opening of the
    Cape Cod Canal in 1914 so the Monomoy Point Light
    was deactivated.

    In the past overnight visits to the lighthouse were arranged via the friends
    of  the Monomoy National Wildlife Refuge group. Unfortunately the last
    few winters and vandalism have required many costly repairs and
    currently, in the interest of public safety, visitors are not allowed
    to stay in the lighthouse or keepers house.

    The lighthouse itself was built in an area that is difficult to get to.
    During the summer season, there are ferry services that will
    take you to Monomoy and back.  One such service is:
    http://www.monomoyislandferry.com/
    another Monomoy ferry service is:
    http://www.outermostharbor.com/

    These ferry services will take you to North Monomoy and
    you should plan on doing a fair amount of hiking if you
    plan on getting to the lighthouse.

    A great history of the Monomoy Point Lighthouse can be found at:
    http://lighthouse.cc/monomoy/history.html


    Five very good photos of the Monomoy Point Lighthouse can be seen here:
    http://lighthouse.cc/monomoy/photo1.html

    Photos of Hardings Beach and Stage Harbor Lighthouse can be found at:
    http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/182336341usgVVG?start=0

    Long Point Light

    Long Point Light

    Marking the entrance to Provincetown Harbor, Long Point
    Lighthouse is an unmanned light.  It is 38 feet tall and
    shines a green light.  A fog sensor activates the fog horn.
    The lighthouse was built in 1875 and the adjacent oil house
    was built in 1904.  This remote light can only be accessed by
    foot or boat.  It is now illuminated via solar panels.

    Long Point Lighthouse photo taken Oct. 4, 2007
    Telephoto lens makes Long Point Lighthouse look
    closer to Provincetown center than it really is.

    For more information and photos of the Long Point Lighthouse,
    visit the webpage at the American Lighthouse Foundation.

    Categories: Long Point Light Tags: Tags: ,

    Lewis Bay Lighthouse (a.k.a. Hyannis Harbor Light)

    Lewis Bay Lighthouse

    Hyannis, Massachusetts

    In service since 1849, this inner harbor lighthouse was in
    operation until 1929 when it was decommissioned and sold.
    It is now privately owned and visitors are not allowed.

    This lighthouse is easily seen since the ferry boats,
    departing to and returning from Nantucket and Martha’s Vineyard,
    travel right by it.

    Lewis Bay lighthouse
    Hyannis Harbor Lighthouse as it looked in the 1800’s.

    A great history of the Hyannis Harbor Lighthouse can be found at:
    http://www.newenglandlighthouses.net/hyannis-harbor-light-history.html


    For current  photos of the Hyannis Harbor Lighthouse go to:
    http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=484

    More information about the Hyannis Harbor Lighthouse can be found at:
    http://www.us-lighthouses.com/displaypage.php?LightID=77

    Highland Light (A.K.A Cape Cod Light)

    The following was written by Henry David Thoreau in 1865:
    “THIS LIGHT-HOUSE, known to mariners as the Cape Cod or Highland Light,
    is one of our “primary sea-coast lights,” and is usually the first seen by
    those approaching the entrance of Massachusetts Bay from Europe.”

    “It was said in 1794 that more vessels were cast away on the east shore of
    Truro than anywhere in Barnstable County. Notwithstanding that this light-house has
    since been erected, after almost every storm we read of one or more vessels
    wrecked here, and sometimes more than a dozen wrecks
    are visible from this point at one time.

    “Truro was settled in the year 1700 as Dangerfield. This was a very appropriate name, for I afterward read on a monument in the graveyard, near Pamet River, the following inscription:

    Sacred
    to the memory of
    57 citizens of Truro,
    who were lost in seven
    vessels, which
    foundered at sea in
    the memorable gale
    of Oct. 3d, 1841

    During the summer of 1996, the lighthouse was moved back from the eroding cliffs in an effort to save it from falling into the sea.  The move itself was an elaborate production where the tower was lifted onto a wheeled platform that rested on a pre-constructed railway.  The tower was then pushed, ever so slowly, down the rails to the new site.  To keep the old brick tower from crumbling, it was encased in a “girdle”  of strong cable and heavy planks during the move.


    View from the top of Highland Light

    For more photos and information about museum and lighthouse tours,
    visit:   http://trurohistorical.org/

    The National Park Service (Cape Cod National Seashore)
    has interesting information about the Highland area at:

    http://www.nps.gov/archive/caco/places/thehighlands.html

    Another interesting page about the history of the Highland Light
    can be found at:  
    http://lighthouse.cc/highland/history.html

    Categories: Highland Light Tags: Tags: ,